Today, we are just beginning to appreciate the enormous scale of Creation. In the Middle Ages, most people worked the land. They rarely ventured far away from their place of birth, so their concept of the world was quite small. Likewise, their concept of God the Creator was small in scale. To them, God was an all-powerful, wise, elderly, human-like figure who lived somewhere above them.
People, at the time, didn’t realize the massive size of the planet upon which they stood. To them, most of their universe could be seen from the top of the nearest hill. Today, with cosmology and the Hubble telescope to help us, our view of the size of the universe has been stretched farther and farther.
What we have learned, since the Middle Ages, includes these realizations:
1. The Earth is not the center of the universe. Apparently, when this was discovered, it came as quite a shock.
2. The Earth is round. This was excellent news at the time: No more worrying that you might take to sea and row off the edge of the world!
3. The Earth travels around the Sun. This means that, while modern-day life on Earth may seem to be expensive at times, it does come with the added bonus, once a year, of a free trip around the Sun!
4. The Sun is over a million times bigger than the Earth.
5. There are 200 billion other suns in our own galaxy.
6. There are well over 100 billion galaxies in the universe.
7. As big as the universe is, in order for God to be everywhere, God has to be bigger still.
When you view God as Infinite Being, the All That Is, or the Absolute, you have a sense of scale that still encompasses all of Creation, no matter how far the universe stretches. The infinity of Infinite Being encompasses all of space. The Creator aspect of Infinite Being created all of space within its consciousness.
The question is, where does the individual fit into this enormous scale of Creation?
The deeper into your own consciousness you explore, the more you become aware that the All is One. That the infinite possibilities are all expressions of the One. Beneath all expression is just the One, and the One is Infinite Being. In the ‘All is One’ ultimate reality, you are a viewpoint of the One. Nothing can be truly separate from the One. It can only be another facet of the One.
Regardless of how huge the universe is, you are fully connected to the Creator of the stars, the planets, and all of life. We are examples of the infinite variety which is Creation and each one of us is an essential part of the whole. If it were somehow possible for you to disappear from the universe – and it isn’t – then Creation would be infinity minus one, and that is no longer infinity. You have always existed and, in whatever form that suits you at the time, you always will.
Because people are an expression of Infinite Being, the potential within each and every one of us is infinite. There are no limits to what you will become in your journey back to your original spiritual home. And, there need be no limits in the life that you are now living. A world that encourages all of its people to develop their full potential will be more supportive, creative and productive. Everyone will benefit.
Just think of your true human potential this way: Infinite Being, Infinite Potential.
Note: This was an excerpt from Owen Waters’ book, Spirituality Made Simple.